5 low-sugar snacks you’ll love
That 4 p.m. snack craving is a real thing. You’ve eaten lunch, you’re definitely not ready for dinner, but you’re hungry. Your energy is low and you need a little power to make it through the afternoon.
So it might seem like a good idea to grab a sugar-filled snack to tide you over. Natural energy boost, right?
Well, not necessarily. Sure, sugar might be an instant uplift but it can also lead to a pretty substantial crash. Plus, sugary snacks are often low in other nutrients. And in general, if you’re trying to live a healthy life, you should also reduce your sugar intake.
So before you run to the vending machine for a chocolate bar, consider trying one of these healthier, tasty, low-sugar snacks to get the energy you need.
1. Edamame — This soy snack is having a moment right now, and for good reason! Light and delicious, edamame will satisfy your craving without doing any harm to your health.
2. Nuts — Nuts are high in protein, give you a brain boost, and fill you up (1).
3. Carrots and Hummus — Dipping is delightful, especially into a creamy and flavorful hummus. Add some veggies and you’ve got a delicious snack that won’t wreak havoc on your waistline.
4. Turkey Cold Cuts — Pure protein, pure power. This lean meat will fill you up so you can take on the afternoon with power.
5. Plain Greek Yogurt — Just make sure you check the label and don’t buy one with added sugar! Plain Greek yogurt is a healthy mid-afternoon snack that leaves room for creativity: add in some berries or a teaspoon of almond butter to make your own little low-sugar parfait.
Snacking is important. You don’t want to deprive yourself! But you also don’t want to overindulge. Make sure you’re choosing what you eat between meals wisely, and always taking into account your sugar intake.
There are tons of delicious, low sugar options out there. So enjoy — and feel good about it!